Teeth cleaned? Check! Examined for signs of gum disease? Check! Botox? Wait, what?
Few people associate Botox, a neurotoxin that is commonly used to smooth complexions, with their family dentist. But more dental practitioners, including our Racine, WI dentist Dr. Reesman, are incorporating Botox into their work.
Specifically, you can get Botox to treat so-called gummy smile. Call North Bay Dental at 262-417-7326 to schedule your appointment for gum reshaping that can give you back the balance you deserve between teeth and gums.
Do You Have a Gummy Smile?
Some people are self-conscious about their smiles because they think they show too much gum. Opinions of how much gum is “too much” vary considerably. However, the consensus seems to be that smiles are too gummy when four millimeters – or a little more than an eighth of an inch – of gumline shows.
In addition to the amount of gum that can be seen, several other factors come into play with a gummy smile. They are:
- Size and shape of your teeth. Smiles can become gummy later in life because your teeth often become shorter through wear and tear.
- Position of your upper jaw and teeth in relation to your skull.
- Length and degree of movement of your upper lip. This is the area in which Botox can help, by restricting how high your lip can move.
Surgery for Gummy Smile
Before dentists like our Dr. Reesman began using Botox to address gummy smile, some folks would opt to undergo surgical procedures to make their smiles less gummy. Two such procedures include:
- A gingivectomy, in which doctors remove excess gum tissue and also sever muscles that elevate the upper lip to limit how high it can rise.
- Orthognathic surgery, in which a surgeon repositions the jaw.
Because they are surgical procedures, their effects cannot be easily reversed. Therefore, it makes a great deal of sense to try Botox for your gummy smile before considering either of these more extreme options.
Botox For Gum Reshaping
Specifically, here are some good reasons to consider a Botox treatment from North Bay Dental’s Dr. Reesman for changing the appearance of your gummy smile:
- Unlike surgical procedures, Botox only lasts a few months. So if you are not completely pleased with the appearance you get with Botox, your upper lip will gradually return to your “before” look.
- Botox is far less expensive than surgical procedures.
- The procedure itself, and your recovery time, are shorter than with any surgery. You’ll be out of the patient chair within minutes of getting Botox from our Racine, WI dentist. And typically you will only experience minor discomfort.
- With Botox, we can start with a small amount and then increase it later if you desire a more dramatic change.
- Botox is perfectly safe. The FDA has approved Botox for nine medical uses, ranging from stiff muscles to migraine headaches. So negative side effects are rare.
How to Maximize Your Botox Benefits
Here are some tips for ensuring your Botox treatment for a gummy smile is a positive one:
- Have your Botox administered by a medical practitioner who is experienced with using it, like our Dr. David Reesman at North Bay Dental.
- Do not overdo it. It is best to start with minimal amounts of Botox and see how they affect your gummy smile. While it is simple to add more Botox, it isn’t possible to undo its effects. It can take up to a week to see Botox’s full effects. So you may want to discuss a touch-up after the first week or so with us.
- Do not rub or massage the treated area after you get your Botox.
Other Cosmetic Dentistry Treatments
Once you’ve made your smile less gummy, you may be interested in some of the other cosmetic dentistry treatments we offer at North Bay Dental. The right combination of treatments can result in a truly dazzling smile!
Here are some other services offered by our Racine, WI dentist Dr. David Reesman:
Tooth bonding. We use a durable resin material to make small cosmetic improvements such as concealing a crack or chip in your tooth, filling out teeth that are too narrow or short, or making a discolored tooth match your other teeth.
Dental veneers. Dental veneers, thin porcelain shells that fit snugly over your teeth, can cover small gaps in your smile, strengthen and beautify chipped or cracked teeth, and cover stained teeth.
Teeth whitening. We offer in-office or take-home teeth whitening treatments. Both treatments result in teeth that are up to eight shades whiter. The in-office treatment lifts stains and brightens your smile in less than an hour. A take-home kit gently whitens your teeth over time, and you can use the treatment whenever you’d like.
Overwhelmed by all of the cosmetic dentistry options? Call North Bay Dental at 262-417-7326 or schedule your appointment using our online form. With gum reshaping using Botox, your gummy smile can soon be a thing of the past.