While it is still debated what causes TMJ disorders (TMD), there is general agreement about potential solutions. If you think that you are having jaw-related problems and would like to learn if a custom TMJ treatment from North Bay Dental could help, give us a call at 262-417-7326 to book a consultation.
At our Racine, WI dentist office, we can provide a comprehensive exam to determine if you are dealing with a TMD. During this evaluation, we will:
- Ask you a variety of questions about your current symptoms and potential concerns
- Provide digital X-rays of your jaw, face, and neck so we can get a better idea of what is happening
- Study models of your jaw and mouth to assess whether they are functioning normally or not
But being able to tell you that you’re experiencing an affliction would mean little if we didn’t also treat your problem. While other dentists might refer you to an oral and maxillofacial specialist (someone who studies the head, neck, and face), we can evaluate your jaw problem and fit you for a custom mouthguard right here at our office. A custom mouthguard can treat your TMD by:
- Relieving pressure from your jaw joint by slightly shifting your jaw
- Reducing or even stopping teeth grinding, allowing your jaw to heal and preventing damage to teeth
- Stopping you from grinding your teeth involuntarily while you sleep
For your convenience, we accept a variety of payment options and offer flexible hours. On top of our more traditional work week hours, our office is also open:
- At 7:00 a.m. on Tuesdays
- At 8:00 a.m. on Wednesdays
- At 7:30 a.m. on Fridays
- Until 7:00 p.m. on Wednesdays and Thursdays
Visit Us And See If TMJ Treatment Could Help Your Situation
TMJ is an abbreviation for “temporomandibular joint,” which itself is just a fancy term for your jaw joints. These joints are incredibly complex. If it does not cause you discomfort, just move your jaw around for a moment to see all the directions and slight shifts your jaw can make.
Everyone who has trouble with their TMJ experiences unique issues. A disorder related to your TMJ can cause a wide variety of symptoms, including:
- Unexplainable migraine-like headaches, especially when you first wake in the morning
- Swelling, pain, and soreness in your jaw, face, neck, and/or shoulders
- Teeth grinding and/or clenching
- Ringing and/or pain in your ears when you yawn or open your mouth wide
- Clicking, popping, and/or grating sounds in your jaw while you chew
- A jaw that gets stuck in the opened or closed position
- The sensation that your upper and lower jaw are not fitting together as they should
We understand that a list of symptoms may not quite speak to your particular situation, so we’ve provided a more concrete “day in the life” type of scenario for what it’s like to live with untreated TMD below.
You wake with a headache. You don’t know why, but there it is: a rough start to a very busy day. You know you should eat something before taking any sort of pain medication, so you make your way to the kitchen.
When you start looking at your options, you start to realize that your jaw hurts for some reason. Even cereal sounds like too much for your painful jaw to handle, so you slurp down some coffee and maybe wince your way through some oatmeal or yogurt instead.
Upon arriving at work, you find that your jaw pain has not dissipated and now your ears are ringing on top of that. You find it hard to maintain your focus and stay productive, but you do your best until lunchtime, when a co-worker pops in, asking if you want to go to that great new burger place.
Your jaw still hurts, but also, you know from experience that if you open your mouth too wide, it could get stuck. You call a rain check and try to find something soft to munch on.
When you get home, you want to spend time with your family, but you turn in early, hoping to get some relief from your headache and get lucky with an easier day tomorrow.
If any of this sounds familiar, visit us soon to learn how we can help!
Stop dealing with problems related to your jaw and call North Bay Dental at 262-417-7326 to schedule a consultation for a TMJ treatment using a custom mouthguard. You can also use our handy online form.