If you’re in need of a strong, convincing tooth replacement option, call North Bay Dental at 262-417-7326 to find out if dental implants are right for you! We offer many dental implant options to suit your specific needs at our Racine, WI dentist office.
Dr. David R. Reesman has been restoring dental implants for over three decades! With our help, you can replace your damaged or missing teeth so you can:
- Chew your food without fear of pain or difficulty, including caramel apples this coming fall
- Smile wide for the camera without feeling self-conscious about a less-than-perfect grin
- Enjoy compliments about your pearly whites from friends and family
- Eat, speak, and smile normally again
- Improve your overall health by chewing your foods more thoroughly
Learn How A Lucky Rabbit Foot Led To Dental Implants
Okay, so technically it was a rabbit’s leg.
In 1952, a Swedish orthopedic surgeon and researcher named Per-Ingvar Brånemark was studying the effects of blood flow on healing with his team. A crucial part of the study involved placing small optical devices encased in titanium shells in the lower legs of rabbits.
When it was time for Dr. Brånemark and his team to remove the optical devices, they found that the bone had healed around the titanium cases, effectively adhering to them. Because these devices were very expensive and specially designed, you might think Dr. Brånemark would have been frustrated, but as a good scientist, he was more fascinated than anything.
Upon further investigation, he and his team deduced that bone can heal around titanium through a process he called “osseointegration.”
Perhaps the most interesting element of this story is that Dr. Brånemark didn’t have any background in dentistry. But as great minds so often do, he was able to see beyond his immediate experiences and apply his knowledge to areas that needed it.
Following further research on osseointegration, Dr. Brånemark eventually found his first dental implant patient, a man with no teeth in his lower jaw. After placing four dental implants, Dr. Brånemark was able to attach an arch of dentures. The dental implants worked great for four decades until the man’s passing.
The technique took some time to be accepted by the dental community. But it all paid off. Dental implants are now widely used across the world and, in 2008, the American Dental Association (ADA) Board of Trustees awarded him an honorary ADA membership.
Explore Your Dental Implant Options
No matter the current state of your smile, we can replace your damaged or missing teeth to improve it. Whether you need a single tooth replaced or a full-mouth reconstruction, we’ve got you covered at North Bay Dental! Compared to other tooth replacement options, dental implants offer many advantages because they:
- Do not require any preparation of your healthy, surrounding teeth
- Can restore your chewing power to up to 90 percent of what it was
- Can be cared for just like your natural teeth and can last a lifetime with proper hygiene
- Prevent jaw bone deterioration, helping you avoid a “sunken in” smile
- Feel and function just like your natural teeth
So you can make an informed decision and get the smile you desire, we will:
- Assess your mouth and jaw thoroughly using state-of-the-art dental technology
- Explain your various options so you can understand what they will entail
- Answer any questions you have
Before we begin any treatment, we will also discuss the procedure with you so you’ll know exactly what to expect.
If you do decide to get dental implants, we will refer you to a talented specialist that we work with in order to have them placed. Then, following a brief healing period, we will restore your dental implants with one of the following options:
- Dental crowns to replace individual teeth
- Dental bridges to fill the gap left by multiple adjacent missing teeth
- Dentures to provide a full arch of replacement teeth in the upper or lower jaw or both
- All-on-4 dental implants, which replace a full arch of teeth using just four dental implants
If you are nervous during your appointment, we can help relieve your dental anxiety with nitrous oxide dental sedation (more commonly known as “laughing gas”) and various amenities, including:
- Warm blankets
- Soft pillows
- Ice-cold water
Our friendly team will do all we can to make your experience a pleasant one!
Regain your powerful set of chompers with dental implants from North Bay Dental. Call 262-417-7326, swing by our conveniently located Racine, WI dentist office, or use our handy online form to schedule your consultation or ask questions.